The history of San Jacinto County dates back to Stephen F. Austin's first colony, although the first establishment of our county took place in 1870, when parts of Polk, Walker, Montgomery and Liberty counties were combined to form San Jacinto County. Austin's colony extended to the Trinity River watershed, roughly along Texas 156 toward Point Blank. After receiving a commission from the Mexican government to settle this area, Joseph Vehlein, a German immigrant to Mexico, deeded 640 acrs to Robert Rankin, an American Revolutionary officer and an ancestor of our old families. This acreage included the site of Coldspring. (Read more)
Original watercolor painting of our historic church by Coldspring artist, Mary Nicklow (c) 1998.
Copyright © Coldspring United Methodist Church. All rights reserved.